Volunteers are a vital part of everything that Senior Services does, and we could not pursue our mission without a great many people giving generously of their time, skills, and energy to improve the quality of life for people as they age in Thurston and Mason Counties. In 2017, our roughly 500 volunteers donated about 44,000 hours of services, valued by Independent Sector at nearly $1.3 million (compare that to our budget last year of $2.1 million)! And, as the need for our programs grows, so does the need for volunteers to support our seniors.
Volunteering is a great way to network, strengthen your résumé, and learn or maintain valuable skills, all while making a valuable contribution to the wellbeing of our community. Senior Services for South Sound provides a wide variety of services to those 55 and over and their families in Thurston and Mason Counties, and we likewise have a wide variety of volunteer opportunities. We do our best to connect you with the position that most closely matches your skills and interests.
Volunteer Opportunities for September and Beyond!
Here are some of the positions we are looking to fill right now:
- Retail – customer service and sales in our Budd Bay Bargains Store and The Estate Store – lots of shifts available Monday through Sunday.
- Meals on Wheels Drivers - needed for Shelton and Belfair routes, mileage is reimbursed.
- Meals on Wheels Area Assessor – visits current MOW recipients to evaluate continued need.
- Program Assistants in STARS - our caregiver respite program for people with dementia, stroke, traumatic brain injuries, etc. Openings for Tuesday, Wednesday or Fridays from 9:00 am to 2:00 pm. Does require a recent TB test and Food Handlers Certification.
- Receptionists at the Olympia Center and the Virgil Clarkson Lacey Senior Center - Must have excellent clerical and customer service skills and be available to work 4-hour shifts.
- Marketing Distribution – if you enjoy cruising our community, we are looking for a volunteer or two to drop off flyers, posters and brochures a couple times a month to area businesses throughout Olympia and Lacey. This is a great opportunity for a couple! You use your own car and will be reimbursed for mileage.
Special Event Volunteers – several events are coming up this Fall:
- Best Rummage Sale on Earth – Saturday, Nov. 10 at the Virgil Clarkson Lacey Senior Center. Want to donate items to the sale? Drop them off at the Lacey Center during normal working hours beginning Wednesday 11/7 or call 360.407.3967 for more information about donations. There are also many opportunities to help, go to http://signup.com/go/HoKcNFY to signup!
- Ugly Sweater Bingo – Friday, Dec. 28 in Olympia – Lot of opportunities to help. Go to http://signup.com/go/GkeVizJ to sign up!
These are just a few of our open opportunities. Have an idea of what you’d like to do but it’s not on the list or have questions? Contact Jan Hawley, Volunteer Coordinator at 360.586.6181, ext. 108 to discuss. Volunteer applications are available at the Virgil Clarkson Lacey Senior Center and the Olympia Senior Center, in addition to online at www.southsoundseniors.org, click on volunteer.
To complete a Volunteer Application online, click here. You can also download a hard-copy and send it in, or fill one out at any of our locations. Volunteers under age 18 must have our Parental Release Form signed by a parent or guardian before volunteering. For questions about volunteering with Senior Services, please contact Jan Hawley, Volunteer Coordinator, at email@example.com or 360.586.6181, ext 108.
United Way RSVP Program
The Retired & Senior Volunteer Program (RSVP) of the South Sound serves Lewis, Mason, and Thurston Counties. RSVP, part of the national service program Senior Corps, provides support and benefits to volunteers age 55 and over. These benefits include mileage reimbursement for travel to and from volunteer work sites, and supplemental medical and liability insurance to cover individuals while volunteering. Several Senior Services volunteers are already RSVP members, and many more are eligible. To view more info and download the RSVP registration, please click here, or contact Bruce Grant, RSVP Manager, United Way of Thurston County, 360.943.2773, ext. 120 or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org.